Shrewsbury, Missouri was officially
platted in 1889. The land which became Shrewsbury originally belonged to Gregorie Sarpy and Charles
Gratiot; by 1890, it was divided into farms and sold to families.
The area now known as Shrewsbury was a 278 acre farm owned by
General John Murdoch. The Murdoch farm was called Shrewsbury Park,
named after a village in England.
In 1913, concerned resident Joseph
Burge organized the Shrewsbury Improvement Association to improve
Shrewsbury and develop its first sewer system. Shrewsbury was
incorporated and became a village in 1913; shortly thereafter a
sanitation system was established, reducing water-born diseases
prevalent at the time.
In 1938, the United States
Government offered financial aid to the City of Shrewsbury and land was acquired for the construction of a new
City Hall replacing the 1912 original. The new City Hall building
was completed in October 1938. Shrewsbury’s new fire engine
house and state-of-the-art equipment were dedicated in 1947; it
was during this period that the Shrewsbury Garden Club was formed
to maintain the beautiful trees and flowers throughout the city.
The early 50’s were marked by the expansion of the public bus
routes to connect Shrewsbury to St. Louis. The 60’s and 70’s were times of great community
growth, noted by the construction of city parks, a municipal pool,
and Interstate 44.
The 80’s and 90’s saw increased
development of new homes, condominiums, apartments, shopping areas, and a new and improved City Center,
which opened May 8, 1993 to coincide with Shrewsbury’s 80th year
of incorporation. City Hall is now located at the City Center. The
former City Hall building has been renovated to
become the Public Safety Building, which houses the Police and
As the turn of the century was upon
us, Shrewsbury’s new aquatic center was opened and plans were in
the works for the Shrewsbury / Lansdowne Metrolink station. The
aquatic center opened in May of 2000 and the Metrolink station
opened on August 26, 2006. At the end of the first decade, the
year 2010, Shrewsbury saw its longest seated mayor, Mayor Bert
Gates, step down and its first female mayor, Mayor Felicity
Buckley sworn into office.
The year 2012 has found itself
filled with preparations for the Centennial Celebration of 2013.
The committee has been headed by former alderman Greg Lauter with
the assistance of Greg Meyer. Along with the help of several
others, plans are being made to sell, commemorative bricks, street
banners, and tee shirts. The year will be celebrated with various
events including, parties in the park, an evening of Shrewsbury History, outside tour of centennial homes, a special
fall festival with a parade and fireworks. It should be a year
filled with fun and an opportunity to look back.
With the Centennial Celebration
will come a new “tag line” for Shrewsbury. It will read “SHREWSBURY,
MISSOURI...IT’S HOME.” We think that says it all.
The City of Shrewsbury is an
attractive suburban residential community with an economic base
represented by a mixture of commercial enterprises, numerous small
specialty shops, support services and a few industrial
It is also a full service community with both fire and police
protection. The Shrewsbury Fire and Police Departments provide
fire and police protection within the boundaries of the city
limits. The Fire Department sponsors fire prevention and safety
programs including blood pressure testing, providing and
installing free smoke detectors. The Police Department offers
public community service programs including the Building Check
Program, in which police check the security of a building and
leave a notice advising the owner regarding their findings, the
S.N.A.P. Program (Safe Neighborhood Active Patrol), in which the
police leave a notice advising that they patrolled the
neighborhood, Child Identification, the DARE drug program, and
Additionally, the City offers and services a recreation center,
aquatic center, and 50 acres of park land nestled among beautiful
residential areas throughout the City.
Interstate 44 intersects the City
near its northern edge. This highway provides excellent access to
the St. Louis metropolitan area. Regularly scheduled air passenger
and freight service are available at Lambert St. Louis
International Airport located approximately 10 miles northwest of
Metro, the commuter railroad that
serves the St. Louis area, completed a new Shrewsbury line. The
Shrewsbury line added eight miles to connect to the existing Metro
lines to Forest Park and Clayton.
Residents are within a short
commuting distance of the numerous hospitals located in the St.
Louis metropolitan area including the highly regarded Barnes
Jewish Hospital complex of Washington University and Saint Louis
University Hospital, both of which are located in the City of St.
Louis and are known for their fine medical schools and quality of
Southwest Medical Building is
located in Shrewsbury, with approximately 60 doctors. In addition,
there is a small dental clinic and medical center in the City. The public school system within the City is operated under the
administration and control of the Webster Groves School District,
the Affton School District, the Special School District of St.
Louis County, and the Junior College District of St. Louis.
The Webster Groves School District
and the Affton School District collectively own and operate 5
elementary schools, 2 junior high schools, and 2 senior high
schools serving residents of the city.
The City is the home of Cardinal
Glennon College, a pastoral college owned by the St. Louis
Archdiocese. The college is the only institution of its kind in
the St. Louis metropolitan area.
In addition, numerous institutions
of higher education located in the St. Louis metropolitan area are
easily accessible to City residents, including Webster University,
located approximately 1 mile from Shrewsbury, Saint Louis
University, Washington University and the University of